Latest update April 5th, 2025 12:59 AM
Sep 11, 2011 Sports
It may be a bit early for predictions and assessments but world renowned junior middleweight fighter, Puerto Rican, Hector ‘Machito’ Camacho is adamant that he would prevail when he squares off with former World Boxing Association (WBA) welterweight champion Andrew ‘Sixhead’ Lewis on a card promoted by Head of Briso Promotions, Seon Bristol at the Princess International Hotel, Providence EBD on December 17.
The Puerto Rican world rater flew into New York yesterday morning to affix his signature to the contract and formalize the deal. Kaieteur Sport spoke with him shortly afterwards and he intimated that he will remain in Manhattan New York over the next month to hone his skills at the Mendez Gym, 26th Street, Broadway Manhattan. But even before Camacho travels to Guyana for his ring engagement with the former Guyanese world champion, he will leave for Mexico to square off with Duran Saul in his own backyard on October 15.
Kaieteur Sport spoke with Camacho shortly after he had signed his contract and he said that he was excited to return to Guyana to engage Lewis. He intimated that he was already committed to the Saul encounter when he was approached for the Lewis bout and had already opened camp in Manhattan. He said that the imminent bout is one that will allow him to avenge an earlier loss his father had suffered at the hands of Saul. “When I am finished taking care of business in Mexico I will focus my undivided attention on the Lewis bout,” said Camacho.
Quizzed on his knowledge of Lewis’ boxing prowess Camacho declared, “I have seen him fight James Page for the WBA title and I have also seen his defenses against Larry Marks and Ricardo Mayorga and I must admit that the kid is a decent fighter but I will be at the top of my game and Lewis will need more than just a reputation to beat me.”
Touching on his ordinary performance in the title bout against ‘Dangerous’ Denny Dalton, Camacho pointed out that he had experienced certain pre-fight problems that had precluded him from training diligently for the bout. “Nevertheless, I was always in control of the fight and had I been to my best, Dalton would not have lasted that long,” he emphatically pronounced.
He said that those troubles are now behind him and this time around he will be training diligently in order to maximize his chances against Lewis. “I’m taking no chances, Lewis is a former world champion and I know that he will be a different proposition so I will apply myself to my training in order to win,” he said.
The last time Camacho visited Guyana he sported a slight inflated tummy and seemed to fade away in the latter stages of the bout. He said that his aforementioned problems had been responsible for his inability to attain optimum fitness. Nevertheless, he has promised to apply himself to his work now that he has passed through that phase. “You will be able to look at my physique and judge the volume of work I had done from the time I arrive in Guyana,” he assured.
The Puerto Rican comes into the bout with a record that reads 54 wins 4 losses with 29 KO’s. During his illustrious career he has defeated Yori Boy Campas, a former WBC and IBF champion who had had close encounters with Oscar De Lahoya, Felix Trinidad and Fernando Vargas. He fought Dalton in June last year and carted off a lopsided unanimous verdict that also gave him the WBF Intercontinental middleweight title. Since returning to his homeland Camacho fought thrice. He lost to David Lemieux in October in a fight for the WBC Intercontinental title but secured victories over Mexican, Juan Astorga and stopped Steve Martinez in Atlanta Georgia inside 4 rounds.
Meanwhile, Mr. Bristol said that he is working feverishly to secure a reputable fighter for Shondel Alfred. He said that the Guyanese world champion’s reputation precedes her and most of the fighters approached have been reluctant to sign for the fight. He said that he is now engaged in discussions with several promoters out of Venezuela to procure a top ten opponent for the ‘Mystery Lady.’
Mr. Bristol also said that he is working on the other preliminary bouts and should complete the entire card shortly. He is assuring Guyanese boxing buffs of a classical encounter that would eclipse that of the inaugural card at the same venue last year. “I’m taking my time to put together a great Christmas treat for Guyanese boxing buffs,” he declared.
Apr 05, 2025
2025 CWI Regional 4-Day Championships Round 6… – Eagles lead by 239 runs heading into last day Kaieteur Sports- In-form batsmen, Kevlon Anderson and Captain Tevin Imlach played similar...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]