Latest update April 4th, 2025 12:14 AM
Aug 30, 2011 Sports
Guyanese boxers experienced mixed fortunes when they engaged their Barbados counterparts in a one night goodwill tournament hosted at the Springer Memorial Auditorium, St Michael Barbados, last Saturday evening. The squad consisted of female boxer, Simone Hoyte who competed in the 75kgs class, Laured Stewart, 75kgs youth class and Steffon Gouveia in the 60kgs elite class.
Gouveia, sponsored by Guyanese US-based Promoter Seon Bristol, was the only boxer to register a win, defeating Barbados Defence Force representative, Cobia Breedy by a unanimous decision. Hoyte surrendered her fight to Kimberly Gittens, while Stewart dropped a unanimous verdict to Leonard Heywood. Vice President of the Guyana Amateur Boxing Association (GABA), Eustace Cuffy accompanied the team as manager and was supported by coach, Carl Franklyn and referee, Ramona Agard. Mr. Cuffy also officiated in some of the matches.
He reported that despite the losses the boxers gave a good account of themselves. The manger explained that this was Hoyte’s first fight and she was matched against a more seasoned contender. He believes that the exposure would serve her well for future engagements. Mr. Cuffy also said that Stewart, one of the more experienced local boxers was outclassed but he (Cuffy) feels that the Guyanese pugilist would have benefited from the exposure.
The manager complimented his coach for a job well done, crediting him for piloting Gouveia to his win. Gouveia had been push in the opening round but came on to dominate the remainder of the fight. Cuffy also said that Ms Agard also benefited immensely from the exposure and her level of officiating was truly commendable.
Meanwhile, local amateur boxers are advised to intensify training activities in preparation for the National Intermediate Boxing championships which gets underway from September 16-18. Organizer of bouts, Terrence Poole said that all tournaments from now onwards would be the basis of assessment for selection to the London Olympics scheduled to get underway in the United Kingdom next year.
Further, two boxers, bantamweight, Benjamin Henry and Marvyn Ageday are scheduled to depart Guyana on September 6 for the Isles of Mann to compete in the junior Commonwealth Games.
GABA over the past few months have kept their fighters busy with several involved in overseas competition with very decent results. The intensifying of preparations would see the youngsters sharpening their skills and improve their performances to peak ahead of the London Games as they eye the medals.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]