Latest update April 4th, 2025 6:13 AM
Aug 11, 2011 News
Garbage woes may continue despite moves by City Hall to ‘take matters into their own hands’.
Kaieteur News was made to understand that the Municipality had acquired at least four trucks for garbage collection through a subvention issued by the Ministry of Local Government.
The trucks were apparently sourced for the sum of $20M by a popular hardware establishment which had clinched the contract to supply the vehicles. According to Robert Williams, Deputy Mayor of Georgetown the four trucks were sent to the council workshop to be made ‘roadworthy’. He noted that there is a three-month warranty for the contractor to fix any defects since the council knew that they were buying ‘refurbished’ vehicles.
Although the vehicles were purchased last year, two of them were received early last month while another two were received at the end of July. Sources close to the council claim that the two trucks received in the latter half of the month went into operation yesterday while the two received earlier in the month were released from the workshop yesterday and will hopefully hit the streets today.
All of the trucks needed oiling, but one of the latter ones released had a problem with a blade that needed to be repaired. It is at present unclear who is liable for the repairs and work that had to be undertaken to make the trucks operational, since to all accounts, the vehicles are still under warranty.
Earlier this month the Mayor and City Council (M&CC) stated that it had decided to tackle the garbage problem. According to a press release, the entity acquired two new Packer trucks to assist in its solid waste management programme.
Last week Mayor Hamilton Green told Kaieteur News that he had not been informed about the Minister of Local Government’s trip to the affected areas in Georgetown last Friday. He suggested that the Minister “probably told the Town Clerk”.
“He has no sense of protocol,” stated Mayor Green.
Green explained that he has not yet received a detailed report although he is aware that the city council received assistance from the Ministry, “either two or three trucks”, to transport garbage and ease the current situation. Kaieteur News was further told that the trucks that were sent by the Ministry, to render assistance, should have already begun operations around Georgetown the day after that visit.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]