Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
May 18, 2010 News
Chairman of Region Ten and Chairman of the Region Ten Education Committee Mortimer Mingo in a recent statement said that he was appalled at the reports that 25 students of the Hururu Academy were denied the opportunity to write the Human Biology and Social Biology Paper 2 Examination.
At the time the examination was being offered at other locations across Guyana by the Caribbean Examinations council.(CXC) on Friday May 7.
Mingo stated that he was informed of the situation by a parent of one of the children attending the Hururu academy, and who was supposed to write the examinations, that the students had turned up at the examination centre on the day in question, at the prescribed time only to be released by the invigilators at approximately 14:00 hrs to go home to get something to eat.
He said that he learnt that they were advised to return, before the scheduled end of the examination at 15:00 hrs, as the examination papers had not yet arrived at the centre.
He said that the parent accompanied her daughter back to the centre as she had been advised, but upon enquiry was informed by the invigilators that the test papers had still not arrived; and that someone by the name of Yvette Williams had left around 15:00 hrs for Aroaima to uplift them.
The parent said that she immediately called Ms Williams on her mobile phone, and was told by the woman that she was waiting at the Mapletown, Aroaima checkpoint, to collect the examination papers, which were on the way in an RDC vehicle.
According to Ms Ross, parents started to take their children home at approximately 18:00 hrs, after waiting for several hours at the Centre for the papers.
The papers eventually arrived at the centre after 20:00 hrs on Friday evening, a situation that the RDC viewed as untenable and demanding of serious scrutiny.
Mingo noted that from initial investigations it appeared that the situation was due to gross negligence and inefficiency of the officers responsible for the timely and safe transport of the examination papers to the school where they were to administer.
He further pointed out that while these are only his initial conclusions, he has already summoned a meeting with the entire management level team of education officials in Region Ten, the Regional Education Officer, Claude Johnson, and Regional Executive Officer, Henry Rodney.
He said that he has also ordered a thorough and immediate investigation into the unfortunate occurrence.
This investigation encompasses all the circumstances surrounding the occurrence and includes the stated concerns of the parents and students regarding the date and time that these papers were dispatched from the examination unit in Georgetown , and then from the RDC office in Linden .
“I have already apprised the Minister of Education on this matter. I’m fully committed to obtaining a resolution of this issue which is in the best interest of the students of the Hururu Academy and their parents; and will continue to both pursue this mater to its conclusion, as well as keep these students and their parents fully informed of the progress of our efforts to address it.
I appeal for the support of the parents and all concerned of my efforts to firmly establish where the persons paid to execute theses functions may have been in dereliction of their duties, and for the RDC recommendations of the actions to be taken by the relevant authorities, to ensure that this situation does not recur, as well as for the affected students and their parents to be given some assurance on what would be an acceptable outcome of this matter.”
Yesterday, the parents traveled to the city to seek legal advice.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]