Latest update April 4th, 2025 6:13 AM
Mar 06, 2010 News
Officials of the Eccles/Ramsburg Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC), under fire for attempting to sell a playground in Republic Park, said that the land was only put up for sale after a “prominent, very well connected businessman” attempted to buy it but was refused.
A press statement from the NDC bearing the signature of S.A. Khan, Chairman, yesterday also said that it had protested the suspension of the Overseer, David Sugrim, who was sent home last week without a hearing by Minister of Local Government, Kellawan Lall.
According to the release, the businessman, whose name was not mentioned, approached an NDC official and wanted to buy the playground by way “of private agreement.” It was not made clear what the private agreement was.
“The official rejected the proposal and advised the businessman that the NDC would have to determine the issue and the property would have to be put up for sale by way of public auction. The businessman was upset, and indicated that he was well connected and threatened that he would have the officials removed from office.”
The NDC said that the matter was brought to its attention and a valuation of the playground found that it was worth some $64M as at January 29.
It was decided at the monthly statutory meeting of the NDC held February 1, that two playfields in the area were not being used and one would have been sold with the proceeds used to develop the other.
A development plan along with proposals was considered by the NDC and the Overseer was instructed to advertise the property for sale. According to Khan, invitations for tenders were published by the NDC with a total of 10 tender documents. Nine bids subsequently came in by the deadline date of February 19.
According to the statement, on February 22, Minister Lall summoned a meeting where the Chairman, Councillors and Overseer were present.
“It was pointed out to the Minister that the NDC had unanimously taken a decision to sell one of the lots at public auction to facilitate the development of the other playground and that a government valuation had been previously secured.”
The NDC said that the nine bids were handed over to the Minister who requested them.
“Without any investigation and in spite of the protests of the Chairman and the Councillors, the Minister orally directed that the overseer be sent on immediate leave without conducting any hearing. No reason was provided for this decision,” the NDC said.
The release stressed that at every step of the transaction, their dealings with the playground have been open, transparent and a matter of public record.
“The minutes of the meeting at which a unanimous decision was taken to sell one of the playing fields to finance the development of the other recreational field, along with the valuation, the development plans, are all available for public scrutiny.”
The release did not address the issue raised by Minister Lall, who during a press conference Thursday said that NDC failed to seek his approval before putting the playground up for sale.
The Minister was clear that while it was alright for the NDC to consider the developmental matters of its jurisdiction, procedures must be followed.
Additionally, the issue of whether the playground was adequately advertised, this had been a bone of contention- was not addressed in the letter. The sale of the playground was advertised on the notice board of the NDC office at Peter’s Hall.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com