Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:31 AM
Nov 14, 2009 Sports
President of the Riddim Squad FC, Edun Cordis has tendered his resignation citing the dishonourable attitude of the executive of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) as his primary reason. This resignation comes into immediate effect and follows his discharge from the Balwant Singh Hospital where he had undergone surgery for injuries incurred during a fracas at one of the fixtures at the Namilco Football Festival.
Cordis, who had incurred grave injuries that caused him to be hospitalized, has laid the blame squarely at the feet of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF), accusing football officials of shirking their duties regarding adequate security at an event that falls under their auspices.
As a result, the football executive had instructed his lawyers to dispatch a letter to the General Secretary of the GFF, seeking damages in excess of five million (Guyana) dollars.
The correspondence further states that should the GFF fail to respond by a stipulated date, Cordis would have sought redress through the courts. Up to yesterday morning the GFF have failed to respond to the letter forcing Cordis to convene a press conference at the Waterchris Hotel, Waterloo Street, Georgetown where he briefed media operatives on the latest developments pertaining to the fracas and other football matters.
Cordis is livid over the situation and said that his decision to extricate himself from football activities stemmed from a principled position that had nothing to do with his hatred of the game.
He feels that the executive of the GFF does not exactly exemplify the statutes under which the noble game is conducted.
“I am laying the blame for my injuries squarely at the feet of the executives of the GFF,” declared Cordis.
He said that they are totally responsible for football and it is their duty to ensure the safety of all patrons attending fixtures under their auspices.
He cited the incident at the gymnasium where several patrons received injuries after a shooting incident.
“The General Secretary was quick to point out that his organization did not sanction that tournament and were not culpable,” Cordis said.
He further noted that by extricating themselves from the tournament GFF executives were clearly disassociating themselves from an event that did not reach the stipulated security standards. “Now what are they trying to say now?” Cordis wanted to know.
“They have committed the very breach and instead of facing their responsibility they choose to hide behind flimsy rules of the ruling football body, FIFA.
Cordis further lashed out at the GFF questioning whether they were bigger than the laws of the land.
“On numerous occasions they have claimed that they are only answerable to FIFA and not local authorities so it would appear as though they are above the law,” Cordis fumed. He also pointed out that had the GFF put the necessary security mechanisms in place, the incident would not have been avoided.
He noted that the officials had ordered a temporary halt to the tournament and upon resumption, installed several armed police officers at the venue. He remains adamant that his matter is a criminal one and not necessarily a football issue.
Recounting his involvement in the sport the former football executive said that about one year ago several enthusiasts affiliated to the Riddim Squad FC requested his intervention in their development.
He said that when he first saw the team in action he was impressed and decided to pitch in his lot. Since then he has noted their rapid rise to stardom.
He recited the incident that sent him to the hospital clinging to his life. He said that his team and Pele FC were involved in a heated encounter with the majority of the crowd rooting for the latter team.
Cordis further related that his team managed to score the first goal and this did not go down too well with some of Pele’s supporters.
Shortly afterwards, one of Pele’s supporters, disgruntled by the turn of events, started a quarrel.
The situation developed into an argument and before very long, several of the combatants armed themselves with knives.
Cordis said that he was standing away from the fracas when he was attacked causing him to receive several stabs to his midriff and back. Cordis said that he must have passed out because when he awoke he was a patient at the Balwant Singh Hospital and rushed to the theatre where he underwent emergency treatment.
The former football executive now sports several wounds to various parts of his body. Two other men, Herbert Gordon and Julian Joyce also received injuries during the onslaught.
They have also been treated and discharged from the hospital. Cordis said that his medical expenses amounted to more than 1.5 million dollars. He also assisted the two other injured men to offset their expenses.
Despite his discharge, Cordis still complains of experiencing severe pain.
“I am deeply disturbed by the fact that the GFF has not even found it prudent to contact me to find out about my injuries or nothing,” he fumed.
The matter is now receiving the attention of the police but in the meantime, Cordis is adamant that the GFF is culpable for this faux pas.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: glennlall2000@gmail.com / kaieteurnews@yahoo.com