Latest update April 6th, 2025 6:33 AM
Nov 14, 2009 News
After days of praying and hoping, the family members of 48 year-old Shankar Kumar are now more at ease. His body was recovered and they were able to give him a descent funeral.
The man’s remains were handed over to the police on Wednesday after it was found and positively identified. Kumar was laid to rest on Thursday while his crewmembers have all been released from police custody.
Reports are that Kumar, called ‘Coolie’ jumped into the Berbice River, some time last week Friday after a fight broke out on the boat, ‘Savie Ï’, which he was captaining.
Another crew member, Trevor Williams, was doused with a pot of hot oil mixed with pepper sauce. He is currently being treated at the Georgetown Public Hospital Burns Care Unit.
The owner of the vessel, Deonarine Sukdeo, said that he was told that the six crew members were attacked by one of their colleagues and that Kumar and two others jumped overboard.
The two were rescued by a passing fishing vessel after swimming some distance but they related that Kumar didn’t make it to the boat.
Two of the other crew members reportedly stayed onboard the vessel but were reportedly beaten.
Sukdeo said that the two crewmembers who stayed behind on the boat said that their attacker sought help from a passing vessel to get to shore. The alleged attacker also reportedly took the injured Williams onto the other boat. Williams was taken to the New Amsterdam Hospital by his alleged attacker who subsequently fled and remains at large.
Up to press time yesterday Williams was still being treated at the Georgetown Public Hospital.
Apr 06, 2025
DCB Under 19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament… Kaieteur Sports- Action in the Demerara Cricket Board (DCB) U19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament saw Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA)...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There are moments in the history of nations when fate lays before them a choice not of... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]