Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
Oct 22, 2009 News
The Health Ministry is expected to be boosted, after the Cabinet approved a contract for the procurement of drugs on Monday last.
This disclosure was made by Head of the Presidential Cabinet Dr. Roger Luncheon, at his weekly press briefing at the Office of the President.
According to Dr. Roger Luncheon, a US$ 885,900 contract got Cabinet’s no objection.
When asked about the suppliers for contracts Luncheon said that he would not use his press conference to name the contractor.
He pointed out that it ought not to be a difficulty for members of the media who are interested, to find out the identity of the contractor. He said that the media is always welcomed at the Tender Board, which is opened on Tuesdays.
When told about the fact that some members of the media were locked out of the tender board drawings he said that he would have to investigate the matter. He said that at the opening at the Tender Board, the information such as the contractor and his bid can be known.
Minister of Health, Dr Leslie Ramsammy, when contacted told Kaieteur News that the contract would help the Ministry buy some 4,000 different types of drugs.
He said that the drugs are normally bought on a yearly basis. When asked about the identity of the contractor Ramsammy said that he would not be able to divulge such information. He said that he does not know if it would be one contractor or multiple contractors.
The Cabinet also approved a contract for $79.3M for the procurement of fuel for drainage and irrigation.
Last week Dr Luncheon said that Cabinet had approved eight contracts.These were awarded in the area of sea defence and public works.
The first contract was for $49.4M for the river defence works at Moleson Creek, Berbice.
The Guyana Civil Aviation Authority/Ogle Airport was awarded 168,800 Euros for the supply of airport runaway lights and for the guidance system in keeping with the second phase of the development of the airport.
The Cabinet Secretary disclosed that two contracts were awarded for the security sector a $200M contract was awarded for arms and ammunition for the Guyana Defence Force, and a further $106 million for body protection equipment.
In Region Four the rehabilitation of Quamina Street in Beterverwagting would attract a further $21.4M.
Linden’s water sector is expected to be boosted with a contract to drill a $9 million potable water well at Amelia’s Ward.
In the Human Services Sector, Dr Luncheon said that a contract was awarded to build a home for the homeless at Region Five. That home is estimated to cost $340.8M.
Finally the Presidential Secretary said that some $207M was allocated for the procurement of a container scanner. The scanner is to gain revenue protection and security for the Guyana Revenue Authority.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]