Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:45 PM
Oct 12, 2009 News
…“he wanted to come home and die”- mother
Everton Douglas, the blind man who was badly injured in a mini-bus accident last month, succumbed at his Mocha Arcadia, East Bank Demerara home at around 14:30 hrs on Saturday.
Douglas’ mother, Shirley Douglas-Weekes, told Kaieteur News that her 53-year-old son was discharged from the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) Saturday. The accident had left him with broken legs and he also had to undergo surgery for an injured back.
But she said that despite being discharged, Douglas was in severe pain.
“The pain was so severe he also vomited blood just before he died.”
The grief-stricken woman is convinced that her son knew he was close to death, but wanted to be with his family when he passed away.
“I say he wanted to come home and die. God knows best…Everton would have been a vegetable. God eased his pain.”
Reminiscing on her son, Weekes said that although Everton, known as ‘Congo Man’, was visually impaired, he would often assist her with her shopping.
Douglas, who has a daughter and two grandchildren, was walking home in September when a minibus struck him.
The vehicle reportedly dragged him on the roadway for several meters, leaving him with broken legs and other serious injuries.
A relative said that the driver and conductor were charged while Douglas was still hospitalised.
The relative said that police have been informed of his death.
Residents of Mocha Arcadia had complained to Kaieteur News that minibus drivers operating in the community often allow their conductors to take over the wheel.
Prior to this incident, a woman from the village was allegedly injured when a conductor was driving a minibus.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]