Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:45 PM
Sep 28, 2009 News
A senior Ministry of Agriculture source has confirmed that the dead whale, which could have weighed tons, has now provided the North West District community with another source of meat.
The 36 foot whale that was grounded at Almond Beach Region One, died on Friday after being beached for four days.
Reports reaching this newspaper said that residents in the area made all efforts to keep the mammal alive and hydrated by covering it with palm branches and wetting it constantly.
However, rather than letting the carcass rot, residents have decided to put the meat to good use, and add it to their diets.
Meanwhile, a Ministry of Agriculture representative told Kaieteur News that the ministry is hoping to be able to cope with a situation such as this, should it happen again, and as such, it has made efforts to alert a number of international agencies as it relates to beached whales.
Kaieteur News understands that the Ministry does not have the expertise or resources to cope with a beached whale, and is hoping to establish certain arrangements that would enable the situation to be handled from a conservative point of view, where the mammal would be returned to the sea alive.
Agriculture Minister, Robert Persaud, however, commends the dozens of local volunteers who put their efforts and support into attempts to rescue the whale and return it to the open sea.
The black and grey whale had drifted ashore at Almond Beach, and when first discovered was still breathing and moving its flippers.
Technical fisheries personnel had been flown to the remote location by the Army’s helicopter, while Coast Guard assets also joined in on the attempt to return the whale to the open sea.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]