Latest update April 3rd, 2025 7:31 AM
Jun 25, 2009 News
Some residents of De Velde Village in the Berbice River have accused a Joint Services team that was recently in the village, of a spate of theft from homes in the area.
Lindie Lashley, a representative of the villagers, said yesterday that the thefts were mainly from the homes of people who were out on the Coast.
The articles stolen included television sets, lighting plants, DVD players and other expensive items.
De Velde is located about 50 miles upriver from Rosignol on the left bank of the Berbice River.
Lashley said that the members of the team had been stationed in the De Velde area from June 4, last up to June 20, for the purpose of location and destroying marijuana cultivations.
He said that the members had used an unoccupied house in the area as their base.
It was during this period, he said, that people who had left their homes to visit relatives on the Coast returned to find their homes broken into and ransacked and items missing.
Lashley said that he had received reports from six persons whose homes had been broken into.
One affected resident, Mr Compton Marques, said that he left his home four miles away from De Velde with everything intact two weeks ago to visit his wife and family at Rosignol, West Bank Berbice.
When he returned two days ago he found the house in which he had left several valuable household articles such as his television set, his lighting plant and other items including beds and mattresses, completely empty.
Based on information received he and others searched the house where the officers and ranks had been based and he found a DVD set which was his but which had not been in working order for some time.
It had been left in this building.
Both Marques and Lashley said they had contacted the Police at New Amsterdam, which is the closest Police Outpost to De Velde and they had been advised to tell all the affected residents to travel to New Amsterdam and submit statements of their losses.
He said that the aggrieved residents plan to travel to New Amsterdam this weekend.
Apr 03, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- When the competition continued there were action at the Rose Hall Community Centre in East Canje and the Berbice High School Grounds. There were wins for Berbice Educational...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- The APNU and the AFC deserve each other. They deserve to be shackled together in a coalition... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]