Latest update April 6th, 2025 12:03 AM
Jun 24, 2009 Sports
President wants its completion this weekend
By Edison Jefford
He ran for office because he wanted change and now after assuming the Presidency of the Linden Amateur Basketball Association (LABA), Abdullah ‘Zico’ Hamid have to wait on a lengthy league to complete before he performs.
Hamid told Kaieteur Sport yesterday that he was forced to hold-up the implementation of his programmes because of a LABA Division I League that has been active since around September last year under the previous administration.
“I’m having a problem with the League that has been running for two years now,” Hamid jokingly exaggerated to emphasise the time the competition has been running. He expects that the troubled league will end this weekend.
Hamid recorded an emphatic victory against former Secretary Joe Chapman in the LABA elections on May 17, when the association held its Annual General Meeting at Mackenzie Sport Club Pavilion in Linden.
He had told this newspaper that he ran for office because of the mismanagement that was witnessed during the two year reign of Uborn Smith. His primary campaign platform was youth basketball and infrastructural development.
It has been more than one month since Hamid took office and the only activity happening in Linden is the league, when competitions for the Under-19, Under-21 and Under-23 age groups were promised during his campaign.
“I want the Under-21 and Under-23 programmes to start next week. My focus is on youth and we want to start with them. The weather and sponsorship had affected the league but we hope those don’t affect the programmes,” he said.
Hamid said that the association has sent out letters to sponsors and have since received a few favourable responses. Additionally, he indicated that the LABA had visited various venues in Linden to assess their infrastructural needs.
“We went to the various outdoor courts and spoke to the teams that use those courts. We promised them assistance in the form of paint for their courts and welding for some of their broken backboards,” Hamid told this newspaper.
He said that when his administration is ready to start the new season, there will be venues that are “playable” apart from the Mackenzie SC basketball court. Hamid informed that some of the youth games will be played at other venues.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]