Latest update April 4th, 2025 5:09 PM
Nov 05, 2008 News
Twenty-four-year-old Delon Jennings, who is charged with the murder of his brother Romel Jennings, 21, on August 1, 2005, has been committed to stand trial in the High Court for the lesser offence of manslaughter.
The accused made his final appearance before Magistrate Hazel Octive-Hamilton at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court, and at the end of the preliminary inquiry the magistrate read the committal order, having found that there was insufficient evidence to “charge him for murder”.
The magistrate said that Jennings inflicted the fatal wound but added that she found that there was intense provocation.
The presiding magistrate then asked if the defendant had anything to say.
He told the court that he is innocent of the crime. He added that he would be reserving his rights to call his witnesses in the High Court.
His lawyer Basil Williams, after hearing that his client would be tried for manslaughter, made a bail application given that manslaughter is a bailable offence. He added that his client had been incarcerated for the past four years.
The accused was released on $250,000 bail.
The killing occurred as the family was preparing to observe Emancipation Day. This was shattered around 11:00hrs that day at the family’s West Ruimveldt Front Road home when the older brother Delon Jennings stabbed Romel Jennings.
Delon was taken into police custody, while his brother’s body was taken to the Georgetown mortuary.
The mother had stated that Delon came home around 10:45 the previous night and saw his brother sleeping in his bed and became annoyed. An argument immediately ensued.
The woman further noted that Romel ran out of the room after seeing that his brother was armed with a knife. She said that it happened “quickly and stupidly”.
I was parting them, “but it happened so fast”, she tearfully recounted.
The woman had told the media that the two always had rifts between them.
Apr 04, 2025
Kaieteur Sports- The Georgetown Regional Conference continued in thrilling fashion on Wednesday at the National Gymnasium hardcourt, with dominant performances from Saints Stanislaus and Government...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo has once again proven his talent for making the indefensible... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]