Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Oct 30, 2008 News
A policeman who attempted to intervene in a squib throwing incident in Berbice on Tuesday night was briefly hospitalized for a stab wound in his abdomen.
The policeman was attacked by a man with a broken bottle. This assailant, along with others, was engaged in the lighting and throwing of the potentially deadly device.
The incident occurred at about 20:30 hours at a bar-b-que at Canefield, East Canje, Berbice.
According to reports reaching this newspaper, Constables 17310 Williams and 19185 Fredericks were on duty at the bar-b-que when they observed a man using the banned item. The ranks approached him with view to arresting him.
Another man, who was nearby, allegedly broke a bottle and stabbed the policeman.
The man also attempted to attack the injured policeman’s colleague but the cop whipped out his firearm and discharged a round into the air.
The man fled but was later apprehended and is to be placed before the court soon.
Berbice Divisional Commander, Assistant Commissioner Khrisna Lakeraj told this newspaper that the police have adopted a zero tolerance posture towards the importation and use of squibs.
According to Lakeraj, so far the police have arrested three persons in the New Amsterdam area who were caught vending the banned item.
Another person was detained at Springlands for illegally importing firecrackers.
These persons are expected to be placed before the court on Friday.
“We are linking up with the Coast Guard and networking with the Customs at Springlands. We will take action against persons importing squibs once we get any information from stakeholders,” the Divisional Commander told Kaieteur News.
Roadblocks and patrols will be on the alert for perpetrators.
He said that prior to the Diwali motorcade in Berbice, he had made a public appeal to persons to desist from using squibs which he warned could be very dangerous to life and limbs.
“Several persons have suffered injuries and vehicles have been damaged by some of these firecrackers,” Lakeraj added.
Yet, during the motorcade, the police were able to arrest more than 10 youths with firecrackers.
Lakeraj said that items were seized and the youths handed into the custody of their parents with a stern warning.
In previous years, the local police had intercepted vehicles coming from neighbouring Brazil laden with giant squibs and, according to Lakeraj, it is possible that some are entering the country from Guyana’s eastern neighbour, Suriname.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]