Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Oct 11, 2008 News
– NAACIE accuses management of preying on workers’ insecurity
On Thursday last, workers of Bosai Minerals Guyana Incorporated resumed full operation, after management of the company decided to rescind the letters of dismissal, suspension and warning that were issued to several workers who walked off the job on September 23 last.
This disclosure was made by Kenneth Joseph, General Secretary of the National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NAACIE), who, during an interview with this newspaper yesterday, revealed that the union had taken full responsibility for having the workers walk off on the day in question. The walkout resulted in disciplinary letters being issued to the workers.
The company had issued letters of dismissal to two of the workers, claiming that they had committed serious infringements earlier this year. More than 100 got letters of suspension for minor infringements, and those who never committed any infringements were issued warning letters.
Joseph said that all of the workers have been reinstated. He noted that one of the two employees who had been dismissed was given a warning letter, while the other was given a verbal warning. The workers, he added, will also receive all monies owed to them.
Joseph said that during negotiations with the management of the company, it was explained that the union had the right to instigate the walk-off, since there appeared to have been no intent on the part of management to pay the workers or provide them with a proper meal for working overtime.
And though the union continues to demand that the workers be paid no less than $700 as meal allowance, Joseph said, the workers seem to be willing to accept a proposed snack assistance that could range from $375 to $400 from the company.
“The union is not in agreement with that, but it appears that the workers would rather have half a loaf than no loaf at all…”
Last Monday, the workers came out in their numbers to retaliate against the action of the management of Bosai Minerals Guyana Limited to discipline the workers who had walked off the job, and to express their displeasure at the two small packs of biscuits and coffee offered to them after eight hours of work, before proceeding on overtime shift.
But, according to Joseph, it is his belief that the company is preying on the fact that the community is a depressed one and many persons are in dire need of employment.
“There has been a shortage of employment in Linden, and these workers are glad to have a job and be able to earn money….The company has recognised this, and that is why it has a bargaining strike to do this to the workers.”
In essence, Joseph said, the company will be gaining in the long run, since workers prefer to work the overtime shift in order to be able to earn more, and thus will accept the company’s proposal.
Joseph noted, though, that the union intends to write to the company to reconsider the snack assistance proposal. He pointed out that based on the union rules, once workers work beyond eight hours, they should be given a $700 meal allowance.
The union has asserted that if the company cannot afford to pay up, then workers should not be called upon to work beyond eight hours.
Meanwhile, Peter Benny, Personnel and Industrial Relations Manager of the company, in an invited comment, disclosed that the workers had reported for duty at 19:00hrs on Thursday, after NAACIE decided to take full responsibility for those workers who walked off the job on September 23.
Benny confirmed that all the disciplinary letters were withdrawn, adding that the two employees that were dismissed will be reinstated but will face other less harsh penalties.
He also reported that the workers will now receive a $400 meal allowance after eight hours of work, instead of the biscuit and coffee they had been receiving prior to the strike.
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]