Latest update April 5th, 2025 5:50 AM
Jun 24, 2008 Letters
DEAR EDITOR,
As stated in the Guyana Chronicle (June 22-08), Head of the Presidential Secretariat and Cabinet Secretary, Dr. Roger Luncheon, said Government will continue to focus on the issue of the more than 200 army weapons from the 1970s that cannot be accounted for.
He said, “It would remain a focus of the administration, because the weapons have been identified and the persons in whose control and possession they were have also been identified.
“Why the focus has to be maintained is because we know precisely which weapons they were, their names, their number and we know precisely in whose possession and control they were, we know everything.”
Earlier this year, President Bharrat Jagdeo announced that an investigation would be launched into the large number of missing weapons from that period when it was found that the weapons were not returned to the army.
Mr. Editor, those who oppose everything Government does or does not do will call this just another smoke screen.
At the end of an inquiry, if there is any, nothing will become of this and no one will be held responsible for anything.
There are those who are calling on the UN to inquire about criminals that were killed, who refused to surrender to Guyana’s security forces.
It was the criminals’ choice, so they choose to shoot it out with Guyana’s security forces rather than surrender and be brought to justice.
Some who supported criminals even went as far as to call these criminals “Freedom Fighters.”
To this day no one could say whose freedom these deceased criminals were fighting for.
So they called it “extra judicial killings.”
Then there are those that are calling for an inquiry into an alleged Government link to Roger Khan.
Roger Khan allegedly said he was helping Guyana’s security forces to rid cold hearted criminals that wreaked havoc on the innocent Guyanese population.
Many Guyanese saw Roger Khan as a hero when it appeared that Guyana’s security forces were unable or unwilling to protect the innocent from these very criminals.
So many calls for inquires for so many things in Guyana these days seem never ending.
No opposition political party and their mouth pieces ever called for an inquiry for those who were robbed, raped, maimed, disfigured and killed in cold blood by the very criminals they are defending.
So there must be one inquiry only to deal with right now, and that is of the over 200 missing GDF army weapons in the 70s.
Government must be reminded that these weapons have no expiry dates and can be used at anytime with impunity.
Government must not take any threats lightly, especially the latest threat where it says to “cause misery in Regent Street and was not concerned if the minister was killed there, because lots of life will be done there, too.”
We await the start of this inquiry, and we await the outcome to see what will become of this and who will be held responsible.
That is, if this PPP/C Government carries through on its words to the Guyanese people. Or are they just blowing smoke?
If the latter is true, then the majority of Guyanese people will have lost.
No one dares say who the winner will be.
Concerned Guyanese
Apr 05, 2025
…19 teams to vie for top honours Kaieteur Sports- Basketball teams from around the world will be in action this weekend, when the ‘One Guyana’ 3×3 Quest gets underway. Competing for a...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There exists, tucked away on the margin of maps and minds, a country that has perfected... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]