Latest update April 6th, 2025 6:33 AM
Jun 20, 2016 News
Onika Luke, the 16 year-old school girl who was shot in the face by a gunman during a robbery at an East Coast Demerara restaurant is in a stable condition although doctors have still been unable to remove a bullet lodged near her spine.
This is according to her brother, Wendell Ranjee, who spoke briefly on his sister’s condition with this newspaper on Saturday.
Ranjee said her condition has improved, but the operation has been delayed because doctors said that the bullet has moved from Luke’s neck to an area near her spine.
Because of this, Ranjee said that doctors told him that it would be dangerous to perform the surgery, because it would put her life at risk.
“The bullet has moved from her neck and gone by her spine. Doctors say it is a very dangerous area. Any operation on her would be risky they said,” Ranjee disclosed.
The sibling said that the injured teen is still unable to eat and breathe on her own. However, he said that she is now talking and doctors are waiting for her to recover in full before they operate.
Two weeks ago, one of the teenager’s relatives had told this newspaper that the bullet passed through Luke’s windpipe and esophagus, causing damages to both organs.
The relative related that this was the reason for doctors postponing surgery.
Luke, of Lot 1 Vryheid Lusts, East Coast Demerara was shot on May 28, by a man who had visited the Lucky Start located at Better Hope, East Coast Demerara restaurant to order a meal.
While paying for the meal, the man grabbed Luke, who was behind some grill work and pointed a firearm at her while demanding cash. When she resisted, he shot her in the face and escaped.
The bullet passed through her chin and was lodged in her throat at the time she was admitted to the hospital. Her left thumb was also shot off.
The teen attends the St. John’s College and had been working part time at the restaurant after school hours.
Police are still to find the gunman as investigations continue.
Apr 06, 2025
DCB Under 19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament… Kaieteur Sports- Action in the Demerara Cricket Board (DCB) U19 Inter-Association 50-Over tournament saw Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA)...Peeping Tom… Kaieteur News- There are moments in the history of nations when fate lays before them a choice not of... more
By Sir Ronald Sanders Kaieteur News- Recent media stories have suggested that King Charles III could “invite” the United... more
Freedom of speech is our core value at Kaieteur News. If the letter/e-mail you sent was not published, and you believe that its contents were not libellous, let us know, please contact us by phone or email.
Feel free to send us your comments and/or criticisms.
Contact: 624-6456; 225-8452; 225-8458; 225-8463; 225-8465; 225-8473 or 225-8491.
Or by Email: [email protected] / [email protected]